July 2, 2017
No dentist can force you into the dental chair every six months, but this recommendation is made with the best interest of patients in mind. Even the most thorough at-home hygiene routine isn’t enough to keep patients’ smiles healthy. At every age and stage of dental development, daily at home hygiene coupled with regular checkups from a general dentist helps patients maintain their healthiest smiles. If you want to keep your natural, beautiful smile for life, visit your phillipsburg dentist for a dental checkup twice a year.
The Benefits of Regular Checkups
The recommendation for six month dental checkups dates back to WWI. Poor oral health was the leading reason drafted soldiers received medical disqualification. The group of dentists tasked with finding a solution recommended preventive dental visits. Ever since, these regular checkups have been considered a necessary part of good oral hygiene routines for patients of all ages. Some of the many benefits associated with regular dental visits include:
- Reduced risk for common oral health issues
- More attractive smiles since wear, discoloration, and damage are minimized
- Better breath since you will be less likely to have excessive plaque and tartar buildup
- Greater likelihood you will keep your natural, healthy smile for a lifetime
What to Expect at Your Dental Appointment
Apart from your first appointment with a new dentist which is typically a little longer, most biannual checkups are completed in an hour or less. Every dental appointment is different, but you’ll most likely receive some or all of the following services:
- Diagnostics – x-rays and intraoral photos are captured and viewed on chairside computer monitors to help you better understand any areas for concern and treatment options
- Screenings – the dentist and/or hygienist carefully examines oral and facial structures looking for the early warning signs of tooth decay, gum disease, bruxism, and oral cancer
- Cleanings – a skilled hygienist will carefully removes plaque and tartar buildup from every surface of teeth
- Consultations – you’ll sit down face to face with a dentist to discuss current issues and your treatment options, creating a personalized plan for ongoing oral health care
Meet the DeMartino Dental Group
The dentist and team members at DeMartino Dental Group are passionate about making dental care a comfortable and enjoyable experience for all of our patients. If it’s been six months or six years since your last dental checkup, contact our skilled and caring dentistry team to schedule your appointment today. Keep up to date on all the latest happenings at your Phillipsburg dentist’s office by reading the monthly blog from DeMartino Dental Group.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.